HOME- YOUR BEST GYM!!
Some people are fitness freaks while some run away from the word fitness. Some hit the gym daily, whereas some look for excuses to avoid going to the gym. But did you know your house could be the best gym area for you? Most of your household stuff like tables, chairs, stools, bottles etc. can help give you a good workout. This actually leaves you with minimal scope to escape your daily dose of exercise.
The exercises are very easy, which can be done in short spans like TV commercial breaks or between your cooking and cleaning sessions. So below are a few exercises which can be done at home with the stuff around:
- Footstools can be used to do step-ups. You can do 50 step-ups in 1 minute and repeat it 2-3 times as per your capacity.
- Water bottles(1-2 litres) Can be used to do bicep and triceps curls by filling them full or half with water as per your strength. Do 20 reps and 2-3 sets.
- You can do overhead press 20 reps 2-3 sets with bottles.
- Carry bottle over your shoulders and do squats 20 reps and 2 sets.
- Carry bottles in your hand and do lunges 10 rep each leg and 2 sets.
- Take old pair of socks and fill them with pebbles or beans and Velcro both the ends to together and use them as ankle weights while working in the house or you can also dance, skip or spot jog with them for at least 20 minutes. You can also do 50-100 leg raises with ankle weights on.
- Heavy books can be used to do bicep/triceps curl and crunches as well. Just lie down with knees bent and the book on your chest. Try to lift your shoulder off the ground with arms behind the head. Do 50 reps and 3 sets of this.
- Use a towel to stretch. Lie down on the floor with one leg raises, loop the towel around the ankle and bring the towel and leg towards the chest. Hold for 10 seconds.
- Place a couple of firm pillows on the couch and do an inclined chest press with bottles in hand. Do at least 20 reps and 3 sets.
- Sit on a low seated couch and so triceps dip 20 reps, 2 sets.
- Place both your hands shoulder width apart on a table or wall and do pushups 20 reps, 2 sets.
For a good workout, try to choose any 6-8 exercises from above daily and then increase your sets as your strength increases.
Household chores can be a great form of a workout as well:
Calorie expenditure during housework:
- Making bed for 15 minutes= 80 cal
- Dusting for 30 minutes=70 cal
- Mopping floor for 30 minutes=120cal
- Cleaning windows for 30 minutes= 122cal
- Ironing for 30 minutes= 61cal
- Cooking for 30 minutes= 72cal
- Washing dishes for 30 minutes= 65cal
- Washing car for 30 minutes= 122cal
- Cleaning washrooms= 144cal
- Sorting out groceries for 30 minutes=72cal
The values are for a person weighing 60 kg. The number of calories burned will go up if the person weighs more and will be lesser if the person weighs less.